According to the Law Decree of the 6th of August 2021, in order to attend certain cultural and dining venues in Italy, it is necessary to show a health certification called Green Pass.
In this article, we see in detail:
- What is the Green Pass for Italy,
- What establishments require a Green Pass to enter?
- Do U.S. citizens and tourists from other countries need a Green Pass?
WHAT IS THE GREEN PASS IN USE IN ITALY?
The “Covid Green Certification” is also known in Italy as the “Green Pass”. In the decree of June 17, 2021, the President of the Council of Ministers defines:
“green certifications COVID-19” are the certifications proving
- the state of vaccination against SARS-CoV-2,
- the status of recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection
- the performance of a rapid molecular or antigenic test with a negative result for SARS-CoV-2.
The decree defines the following terms as:
“vaccination” means SARS-CoV-2 vaccinations conducted
as part of the National Vaccine Strategic Plan for the prevention of SARS-CoV-2 infections, specifically the vaccines approved by the EMA (European Medicines Agency), which are currently:
- Comirnaty by Pfizer & BioNTech
- COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen by Johnson & Johnson
- Spikevax (previously COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna)
- Vaxzevria (previously COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca)
“Molecular test“: molecular testing of amplification of nucleic acid (NAAT) used to detect the presence of SARS-CoV-2 ribonucleic acid (RNA), recognized by the health authority and carried out by health care professionals.
“Rapid antigenic test“: test based on the detection of viral proteins (antigens) recognized by the health authority and carried out by health professionals
HOW DO YOU OBTAIN A GREEN PASS FOR ITALY?
Italian citizens or foreign citizens who reside in Italy and have an Italian Tax Code Card (same as the Italian Health Card) or who have taken the swab in Italy or who have received the vaccine in Italy can download the green pass from the website https://www.dgc.gov.it/, entering data such as details of the Italian Health Card, the number of the identity document presented at the time of the Covid swab and the unique number associated with the swab, or the date of the last vaccination taken in Italy.
The barcode on the green certification is scanned by the staff at the entrance of the facilities to verify the validity of the certification.
WHAT TYPES OF FACILITIES IN ITALY REQUIRE A GREEN PASS TO ACCESS?
As of August 6, 2021, a green pass is required to access the following services and activities:
- food services conducted by any establishment for consumption at the table, indoors;
- performances open to the public, sporting events and competitions;
- museums, other institutes and places of culture and exhibitions;
- swimming pools, swimming centers, gyms, team sports, wellness centers, even within accommodation facilities, limited to indoor activities;
- festivals and fairs, conventions and congresses;
- thermal centers, theme parks and amusement parks;
- cultural centers, social and recreational centers, limited to indoor activities and excluding educational centers for children, including summer centers, and related catering activities;
- activities of gambling halls, betting halls, bingo halls and casinos;
- public contests.
As of September 1, 2021, in addition, school and university staff and students will be required to display the Covid-19 Green Certification. Also as of September 1, only individuals with Green Passes will be allowed access to and use of the following means of transportation:
- aircraft used for commercial passenger transport services;
- ships and ferries used for interregional transport services, excluding those used for maritime connections in the Strait of Messina;
- trains used for inter-regional transportation such as InterCity, InterCity Night and High-Speed passenger rail transport services;
- buses used for passenger transport services, with an undifferentiated offer, carried out by road on a continuous or periodic basis on a route connecting more than two regions and having pre-established routes, timetables, frequencies and prices; buses used for rental services with driver, excluding those used in additional local and regional public transport services.
HOW DO U.S. CITIZENS AND TOURISTS OBTAIN THE GREEN PASS?
According to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, certifications issued by the health authorities of:
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including Gibraltar, Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, and British bases on the island of Cyprus and excluding territories not belonging to the European continent)
- United States of America
They are recognized as equivalent to those of the European Union issued after vaccination or a negative test or recovery from COVID-19.
Certifications can be presented in digital or paper format together with the Passport. The Certifications allow access to activities and services in Italy as well as the COVID-19 Green Certification.
HOW THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE GREEN PASS IS PROCEEDING IN ITALY IN RELATION TO TOURISTS?
Foreign travelers in Italy have complained about the long wait and hiccups in the scanning and validation process at the entrance of the most famous landmarks and museums, such as the monuments in Rome (note that GP is not required for entry to places of worship).
Some travelers have noted that in smaller, less touristy cities and regions of Italy, some restaurant and café owners do not request Green Passes to enter their facilities.